Sunday, December 21, 2008

Update re: Pfizer and Peyronie's Disease

Well...I stand corrected.
In my last post I discussed Pfizer and Auxilium's drug development agreement for a drug to target Peyronie's Disease.
And in my post, I was somewhat critical of Pfizer's decision.
However, a reader was able to provide me with additional information re: Peyronie's Disease. It turns out that that the number of men suffering from Peyronie's Disease is not 1-4%, The percentage of men afflicted by the diesease is 9%.
You can see a brief article about the disease here.
But, equally as important, the reader's discussed some of the emotional issues that men suffering from this disease face. He made me realize how devasting this disease can be to men who are afflicted by it.

Bottom line.....
Pfizer and Auxilium are working to find a cure for a disease that, if they are successful, will not be a blockbuster. To use a baseball analogy, it will probably be a 'single', not a 'home run'. Nevertheless this drug will improve the lives and health of a significant percentage of people. And, when it comes down to it, improving the lives and health of people is the real purpose of the Pharmaceutical Industry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more specific than somewhere else, thanks.

- Norman